DAR&E Adoption Process
DAR&E provides Doberman adoption to loving and responsible people. All potential adoptive families must read the Adoption Information below, then download our Adoption Application and send it to our Application Coordinator. We will review your application and contact you.
- DAR&E does not accept applications for homes where there are children under the age of 10 years.
- DAR&E does not accept applications from applicants who rent.
- For those applicants with room mates. There can only be one room mate in the home, that room mate has to have been in residence for at least a year, and that room mates animals will be taken into account during the adoption process. Also, the applicant must be the owner of the home.
- DAR&E will not place a male Doberman in homes that already have a male of any breed, neutered or not. For more information please read our Male-to-Male Placement Policy.
- Dogs under the age of 1 year old must go to home with fully fenced yards.
To submit an application, follow these simple steps:
- Download our Adoption Application by clicking on this link. In the "File Download" pop-up box, select "Save." This will save the application to your computer.
- Using your word processing software, complete the application by filling in the blanks.
- Return the application to us.
- By Email: Either attach your document to your email or cut and paste it within the
- body of the email and send it to our Application Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
After you have submitted your application:
- The application is reviewed. You will be contacted if we have any questions.
- Once a volunteer signs up for your home visit, your application is sent to them.
- The volunteer contacts you to schedule a home visit which usually takes about an hour to an hour and a half. Please have everyone who lives in the home present for the home visit.
- The references you supplied will also be checked, so please give all appropriate phone numbers; that will speed the process.
- The volunteer submits a report back to the Board of Directors. You will receive an email letting you know the outcome of your application.
- If you are approved, you will receive a weekly email list of the dogs available for adoption with contact information for the foster parents. You are free to contact the fosters and go see the dogs; the foster parent handles the paperwork and adoption.
Our adoption fees, as of 4/1/2009 are:
- Under 2 years of age: $350
- 2-6 years (includes 6 year olds): $250
- Over 6 years of age: $150
All of our dogs are spayed/neutered, up-to-date on shots and microchipped. Adoption fees should not be viewed as payments, but rather contributions to the rehabilitation and care of the dogs.
When you go to see a dog, be prepared! Take a leash and collar just in case you meet the dog of your dreams!
NOTE: We don't take applications on specific dogs - placements are based upon the best possible match for the dog and the potential adopter. Don't miss out! If you would like to adopt but don't see a dog right now that you think you'd like, fill out an application anyway. That way, you'll be approved and ready to go when a dog that interests you appears on the list.
If you live outside this region, please go to Petfinder.com for a Doberman Rescue group or a homeless Doberman in a shelter near you.
All adopters must sign an Adoption Contract, please review our contract prior to adoption.
We do not adopt dogs outside of the tri-state area which includes Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and DC.